Wednesday, 15 April 2009

AN IRISH MEMORY - the book

Its here - my first publication and an achievement in itself! "An Irish Memory" is basically a photo album in written form. Some of the poems wer written in Northern Ireland; some of them were inspired by ongoings in Northern Ireland.

The actual title of the collection came accidentally one evening in Peterhead, Abderdeenshire, when I referred to my own memory as an Irish one in conversation with a few friends. When I stopped to think about it, I knew I'd stumbled upon something almost three-dimensional: a title for a new poem, a theme for a bolue of poems and a statement which can be interpreted in so many ways.

The poems themselves are mini-masterpieces, if I do say so myself:


NORMALLY I SLEEP IN ON SATURDAYS...

This was written in the summer of 2005, round about the time I was considering travelling more and getting away from Ireland, longing to relocate.

EAST BELFAST

A commentary from a period and nostalgic points of view both in one. This came about from actually coming home to visit after relocating and deals with a before- and after- sense of my home area growing up.

AN IRISH MEMORY

A poem of optimism fighting against negativity and remaining hopeful for what is to come, backed up by, and appreciatively acknowledging, beauty surrounding it.

WINTER BELFAST'S MORNING

Analysing the city in a cold December, asking the question if the climate is brought on by the season or relations across the community.

THE WATER WORKS

My tribute to an area in North-West Belfast which I used to pass nearly every Saturday morning while working as a postie and how God was with me every time.

SOUTH BELFAST

A snap shot of various sites such as Queens University, Lisburn Road, Donegall Pass, Donegall Road and University Avenue, along with its respective inhabitants and characteristics.

WHEN FLOWERS BLOOM

The parable of an Irish farmer planting his crop, which subsequently comes into fruition upon a short absence and return to the site in question.

ULSTER SONNETT

A Shakspearean prophecy of a united Ireland conquering all division and joining hands together in the way the emerald isle was intended in its' creation.

PRAYER

Probably the most intimate poem in this collection and the most personal. A true monologue with me speaking to my heavenly father and a plea to develop my faith.

GETTING THERE

Chronicling the experiences of highs and lows, like being on cloud nine and heading upwards slowly, only to watch yourself come down at a similar pace.

Want a copy? One can be yours for the tender price of £3. Get in touch today and we'll see what we can do for you!...

dw :)

No comments: